PALEO LIME-CILANTRO PORK TACOS
So, Brian and I just returned from an amazing weekend South of the Border. We made our yearly trek to see one of our favorite bands, Roger Clyne & The Peacemakers, play on Sandy Beach in Puerto Penasco, Mexico. We had a great time with family and friends and enjoyed everything that Mexico has to offer (i.e. tequila, border tacos, quesadillas, sun burns, belly aches, etc).
Even as gluten-intolerant and committed as one can be, I’m pretty sure it’s impossible to stay 100% Paleo in Mexico. I went into the trip with the mindset that I would not cheat. Period. I had elaborate plans on how I would sneak in my NorCal Margaritas to every place I visited and how I would live on beef & almond butter. Period.
Yep, FAILEO on that plan. I did pretty good, but I will admit that over five days I had four quesadillas, two beers, one pina colada, a pitcher of margarita especiales, two orders of french fries, ice cream and probably seven vodka lemonades at the concert. (I think seven is right….) Definitely, not my best effort at Paleo success while on vacay. This is probably the worst I have ever been diet-wise in the last year I have been Paleo. I now know why my belly is bloated and full of knots. Lesson learned.
One thing that I noticed this weekend is how much I miss Mexican Food. Mexican Food was a staple in my pre-Paleo “cheesetarian” days and it’s time to bring it back into my food repertoire. I guess I can’t exist on lettuce burgers and Paleo Chocolate Chip Cookies forever. I am going to find ways to “Paleofy” Mexican Food — starting with these yummy Lime-Cilantro Pork Tacos.
Lime-Cilantro Pork Tacos
- 2 tsp coconut oil
- 1 lb pork tenderloin, trimmed and cut into 1/4″ – 1/2″ strips
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/8 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1 small jalapeno, minced
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced
- 3 Tbs lime juice
- 3 Tbs cilantro, chopped
- 8 butter lettuce leaves (about 1 large head)
- 2 avocados, sliced
- Wash and chop onion, jalapeno, cilantro and tomatoes.
- Season both sides of pork with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. When hot, add coconut oil to pan.
- Sauté pork until lightly browned, about 4 minutes. Remove pork from pan and place in a bowl.
- Add onion and jalapeno to hot pan, and sauté until tender.
- Add broth and tomatoes, and reduce heat to low. Simmer two more minutes, scraping pan sides and bottom to loosen any browned bits.
- Return pork and juices to pan. Stir in lime juice and simmer until pork is fully cooked.
- Top with fresh cilantro and avocado, and wrap with butter lettuce leaves to serve.
[…] posted the Paleo Lime-Cilantro Pork Taco recipe a few days ago. Have you tried it yet? It’s FAMAZING. Really. (As a side-note, we […]