PALEO CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES
So, we just finished our first Paleo Challenge at Incendia. I’ve been working on the “Before” and “After” photo collages of all the participants and the results are just incredible. If I didn’t know better, I would think the results were “Photoshopped.” I love seeing the transformations and it makes my heart happy to see so many people try the Paleo lifestyle, even though it contradicts so much of what we’ve learned about nutrition throughout the years.
My first experience with the Paleo lifestyle came in the form of a 60 Day Challenge at CrossFit Fury that began in April 2012. I talk about it often to just about anyone that will listen, but that Paleo Challege completely changed my life. I went into the Challenge with the goal of weight loss – thinking I would stick out the 60 Days, lose some weight and go back to my old ways as soon as it was over. I was in it to win it and I was freaking strict on my Paleo those first 60 days. I probably lost about 15 pounds.
Once the Challenge was over, I was reluctant to “cheat” because I had worked so hard. But, something else happened. If I even put a non-Paleo item in my mouth, I had to deal with severe digestive issues. And, I mean severe. Turns out I’m Celiac, but even dairy jacks me up. 11 months later, I’m still strict Paleo, but I still have a wicked sweet tooth. So, I “cheat” Paleo now. This cookie recipe is one of my favs. I have modified over the last year and now it’s totally perfect (in my opinion). I hope if you cheat, you cheat Paleo, too. There are tasty Paleo options for every food desire you have. Promise. This is one:
- 2 1/2 cups almond meal (Purchased in bulk at Sprouts to get an “oatmeal cookie” texture)
- 1/2 cup coconut flour (I like Sprouts when they have it, but usually just use Bob’s)
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 cup raw honey
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 bag Enjoy Life Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
- Preheat oven to 375℉.
- Coat baking sheet with spray coconut oil.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine dry ingredients. Set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, beat the eggs, honey, and vanilla extract with a hand mixer.
- Pour dry ingredients slowly into wet ingredients and beat with mixer until combined.
- Add the melted coconut oil and mix until combined. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Drop Tablespoon-size, very lightly pressed balls of cookie dough onto prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for approximately 8-10 minutes.
- Try not to eat them all in one sitting!