MAGIC BROWNIES MAKE ME HAPPY
So, we’re starting a new Paleo Challenge at the gym on April 1st, which means I have to say “bye bye” to my Paleo Treats. I’ve also decided that I’m going to give up tequila for 30 days. I know. That’s going to suck. But, I’m going to do it. I also will commit to WODing five times per week. I’ve been slacking a little bit lately on the WODs and eating way too much dark chocolate. My body is starting to show my lack of discipline as of late and I’m happy to have the Challenge to pull it all back together. This Challenge came just in time. Jeez, who planned that? Hahahaha.
We’ve booked a trip to Rocky Point for Circus Mexicus, to see one of our favorite bands (Roger Clyne & The Peacemakers) play live on the beach, June 6-9, 2013. I plan on wearing a bikini. The. Entire. Time. This annual trip is the very reason I began CrossFit + Paleo exactly one year ago. Let’s be honest, I do CrossFit + Paleo so I can rock a bikini reasonably well at 38 years of age and after having two kids. My CrossFit is about being healthy, having the energy to chase my kids, hanging out with cool people….and looking good doing it. I know that I’m never going to be a Games-Level CrossFitter and I don’t train that way. That ship has sailed, honey and I’m ok with that. I really rely on my diet to get me the results I seek. I 100% believe in Paleo and I love a good “Paleo Cheat.” Here’s a good chocolate one from PaleOMG:
For the brownie layer
- 15 dried medjool dates, pitted
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted
- 2 tablespoons coconut flour
- 3 eggs, whisked
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons raw honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- pinch of salt
For the magic layer
- 1.5 cups unsweetened shredded coconut
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons Coconut Cream Concentrate or homemade coconut butter (I just use the fatty part of coconut milk. I’ve never found the Coconut Cream Concentrate locally and I burned up a food processor making homemade coconut butter. The milk works fine and it’s a heckuva lot easier than the other options.)
- 1 tablespoon raw honey
- 2 egg whites, whisked until foamy
- pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 365 degrees. I know, weird number, just do it.
- Now add your dates to the food processor and begin to pulse until you get a clumpy paste.
- Then add your coconut oil and cocoa powder to the food processor and puree until well mixed and it has become smoother.
- Then add your eggs, coconut flour, honey, vanilla, baking soda and powder, and salt and puree until smooth.
- Grease an 8×8 baking dish with some extra coconut oil, then pour in your brownie mix and smooth out throughout the dish.
- Now make the top layer. Add your shredded coconut, coconut oil, coconut butter, and honey to a bowl and heat in the microwave. Don’t tell me a microwave isn’t paleo, you’re not creative.
- Mix ingredients together ingredients until smooth then add your whisked egg whites and mix well.
- Pour topping over your brownie batter and smooth out until covering the entire surface of the brownie.
- Add dish to oven and baking for 20-25 minutes.
- Let cool then cut into pieces.
- Try not to eat the entire pan!
Where do you get you unsweetened shredded coconut? I can only find the stuff that has a pound of sugar on it. These look amazing and I can’t wait to try them AFTER the paleo challenge 🙂
I LOVE all your recipes. The pancakes are now a staple in our newly Paleo home. Hoping the brownies turn out just right. I have to switch out the dates for banana (cuz I dont have any dates here) so maybe it’ll just be a little cake-like? I’ll let y’all know 🙂