Incendia’s CrossFit Games Open Series 2016
We are now officially half-way through the 2016 Edition of the CrossFit Games Open. With 164 athletes on Team Incendia this year, we continue to be one of the largest teams in the Southwest Region. We are also scoring in the Top 10% of all teams in our Region, which is super cool!
When you have a team of our size in a large gym with several hundred members, it can be logistically difficult to get all team members in and judged while keeping business flowing as usual for members who aren’t competing. Luckily, after four years of participating in the Open, we feel we’ve got a pretty good handle on things. We do reserve the right; however, to make changes each week as necessary to help us get through the “Open Process.” Most of these changes are temporary and we try to over-communicate them, but wanted to take an opportunity to summarize the process here for easy reference:
- We watch the WOD Announcement live on Thursday nights at 6pm. Immediately following the WOD Announcement, pre-selected athletes perform that week’s WOD. This event is open to the public and we encourage you to come take part in this very popular, fun evening.
- All Open WODs are done in normal Friday classes. The Scaled Version of each week’s Open WOD is done in Incendia Ignite and the RX Version of that week’s Open WOD is done in regular CrossFit.
- The Competitors typically do their WODs on Friday at 10am and will re-do the Open workout (if necessary) on Mondays at 10am. We open their sessions to the spectators and encourage you to come watch some amazing athleticism.
- If you are unable to do the WOD on Friday, we provide a “last chance” for judging on Sundays at 10am. This “last chance” is intended only for athletes who are signed up for the Open and who were unable to make it to Friday’s sessions.*
- Because of Easter, the final Sunday “Make Ups and Mimosas” session will be held on Saturday, March 26th. Make Up Class times will be held at 7am, 8am, 10am and 11am. All regular Saturday classes will be canceled that day, with the exception of the 9am CrossFit 101 Class which will still be held as usual. CrossFit Incendia will be closed on Sunday, March 27th.
- The following classes are canceled until April 1, 2016: Thursday 7pm 101, Friday Barbell and regular Sunday Classes (including Yoga).
- We have added an Open Gym session on Saturdays at 11am since we took away Sunday’s Open Gym time. This class will remain on the schedule even after the Open concludes.
*Let’s talk about WOD re-dos and Sundays for a moment. We feel very strongly that athletes should not re-do the Open WODs unless the athlete is on our Competition Team and they are trying to get points to send the team to Regionals. Many athletes (including the Competitors) found that re-doing 16.2 resulted in lower scores. That is because these workouts can give your body a beating and you don’t have enough time to fully recover before attempting it again. It’s just not safe – or necessary – for most athletes to do the WOD twice. Take your Sunday “Rest Day” and allow your body to recover so that you can be ready to give your best next week. Also, the Sunday “Make Ups & Mimosas” event isn’t intended for athletes who aren’t signed up for the Open. We have been putting 60-75 athletes through heats on Sundays, while trying to keep athletes’ wait times to a minimum and while providing judges for all athletes who need one. Our resources are stretched really thin on Sundays from Coaches to Judges to KidCare. If you are not signed up for the Open, please don’t come work out “for fun.” You are more than welcome to come spectate, judge and hang out, but we are not able to accommodate optional WODders. We also must give priority in KidCare to athletes who are working out. If you are coming to the gym for fun, we may ask you to watch your own children if we get over the 10:1 provider/child ratio. We thank you in advance for helping us to provide the best service possible during this time.
Now, here’s the big question: what do you think 16.3 will be?