CHRISTMAS EGGNOG (NON-PALEO STYLE)
Every year, my stepfather (Jay) makes the most amazing eggnog. It’s kind of legendary in my family. It comes from a recipe that was created by his grandmother, Verna. Last year I tried to re-create his eggnog in the most Paleo-friendly way I could and it was disgusting. I’m talking complete FAILEO! I guess sometimes you have to go with the original version of certain foods and this eggnog is no exception.
I made “Grandma Verna’s” eggnog last night for our annual Christmas Eve Get-Together with our neighbors and it was delicious. Think: alcoholic milkshake. My tastebuds were delighted last night. My stomach, on the other hand, is not a happy camper today. If you have dairy sensitivity, you might want to think twice before you partake in a cup of fabulousness. If not, go for it!
6 Eggs (separated)
16 oz Heavy Whipping Cream
1/2 Gallon Vanilla Ice Cream
3/4 Cup Sugar
1/2 Cup Dark Rum
1/2 Cup Bourbon Whiskey
Cinnamon or Nutmeg (optional)
1. Separate eggs and place yolks in one bowl, whites in another.
2. Put 1/4 cup of sugar with the yolks and 1/2 cup of sugar with the whites.
3. Mix each with a hand mixer until stiff peaks form.
4. Pour whipping cream into a separate large bowl and mix with hand mixer until stiff peaks form.
5. Pour both egg mixes into bowl with pre-mixed whipping cream.
6. Stir with large spoon.
7. Once mixed, put ice cream into mix.
8. Pour 1/2 cup Myer’s Dark Rum and 1/2 cup Maker’s Mark Bourbon Whiskey into mix and stir.
9. Let sit for a couple hours, serve and enjoy! Top with cinnamon or nutmeg if you desire.