Incendia’s CrossFit Games Open Series 2017
Are you ready for the 2017 Edition of the CrossFit Games Open? With 46 athletes signed up so far on Team Incendia this year — a full week before the Open even begins — we will likely be one of the largest teams in the Southwest Region once again. There is still time to sign up and join our team!
We typically score in the Top 10% of all teams in our Region, which is super cool – but, definitely not our overriding goal for our fifth Open Series. This year, we want to have fun while introducing new athletes to the sport of fitness. We want you to be excited to work hard, but we don’t want you to be too intimidated to even try. We also aren’t going to force you to participate. If you’re not comfortable with the Open, we’ll have a 101 WOD for you to do during the normal class times every single Friday.
If this is something you want to do and you’re feeling nervous about signing up the Open for the first time….DON’T! There are RX and Scaled versions of each WOD for you to choose from. There are also different age brackets so that you don’t have to compete against someone who is half or twice your age. The Open is something that everyone can take part of and the only person you have anything to prove to is YOURSELF.
When you have a team of our size in a large gym with several hundred members, it can be logistically difficult to get all team members in and judged while keeping business flowing as usual for members who aren’t competing. Luckily, after four years of participating in the Open, we feel we’ve got a pretty good handle on things. We do reserve the right; however, to make changes each week as necessary to help us get through the “Open Process.” Most of these changes are temporary and we try to over-communicate them, but wanted to take an opportunity to summarize the process here for easy reference:
- The 2017 CrossFit Games Open begins on Thursday, February 23rd and ends on Monday, March 27th.
- We watch the WOD Announcement live on Thursday nights at 6pm. Immediately following the WOD Announcement, pre-selected athletes perform that week’s WOD. This event is open to the public and we encourage you to come take part in this very popular, fun evening.
- Because of congestion in the gym we’re going to try to end all 5pm Classes on Thursdays at 5:45pm (Strongman, Endurance, Kids).
- All Open WODs are done in normal Friday CrossFit Classes. Whether you chose the Scaled or RX Version of that week’s Open WOD, it will be done in one of the regular CrossFit Classes at 5:30am/6:30am/8am/9am/1pm/4pm/5pm/6pm.
- CrossFit 101 Classes will have their own, non-Open workouts programmed on Fridays at 5:30am/9am/12pm/4pm/5pm/6pm.
- The Competitors typically do their WODs on Friday at 10am and will re-do the Open workout (if necessary) on Mondays at 10am. We open their sessions to the spectators and encourage you to come watch some amazing athleticism.
- If you are unable to do the WOD on Friday, we provide a “last chance” for judging on Sundays at 10am. This “last chance” is intended only for athletes who are signed up for the Open and who were unable to make it to Friday’s sessions.*
- The following classes are canceled until March 27, 2017: all regular Sunday Classes including Mixed-Level, Open Gym and Open Platforms.
- Non-members are welcome to drop-in to our Friday Open sessions listed above. We will judge you for $50 for the entire season or one time for $25.
*Let’s talk about WOD re-dos and Sundays for a moment. We feel very strongly that athletes should not re-do the Open WODs unless the athlete is on our Competition Team and they are trying to get points to send the team to Regionals. Many athletes (including the Competitors) have found that re-doing some Open WODs have resulted in lower scores. That is because these workouts can give your body a beating and you don’t have enough time to fully recover before attempting it again. It’s just not safe – or necessary – for most athletes to do the WOD twice. Take your Sunday “Rest Day” and allow your body to recover so that you can be ready to give your best next week. Also, the Sunday “Make Ups & Mimosas” event isn’t intended for athletes who aren’t signed up for the Open. We typically put 60-75 athletes through heats on Sundays, while trying to keep athletes’ wait times to a minimum and while providing judges for all athletes who need one. Our resources are stretched really thin on Sundays from Coaches to Judges to KidCare. If you are not signed up for the Open, please don’t come work out “for fun.” You are more than welcome to come spectate, judge and hang out, but we are not able to accommodate optional WODders. We also must give priority in KidCare to athletes who are working out. If you are coming to the gym for fun, we may ask you to watch your own children if we get over the 10:1 provider/child ratio. We thank you in advance for helping us to provide the best service possible during this time.